'St. Peter's Basilica - A Virtual Tour'
Facing the tomb is the Tabitha Altar, flanked by two columns in gray granite
and consecrated in 1726. The mosaic altarpiece showing the Resurrection
of the Widow Tabitha by Peter in the city of Joppe, was executed in 1760
from the original by Costanzi, now in the church of Santa Maria degli
Angeli, which had replaced an earlier fresco over the altar by Baglione.
From: 'The Mosaics
of Saint Peter's' by Frank DiFrederico
The cartoon was painted by Placido Costanzi, who received payment for
it on 31 July 1740. The picture was to replace the altarpiece by Giovanni
Baglione, painted in about 1604 to 1606 but in complete ruin by the mid-eighteenth
century. The Costanzi cartoon was neglected for several years. In March
1756 the Congregazione della Reverenda Fabbrica finally decided to execute
the mosaic, and in 1758 Costanzi was paid 450 scudi for repainting his
picture. The picture is signed and dated 1757. The mosaic was executed
by Giuseppe Ottaviani, Guglielmo Paleat, Bernardino Regoli, and Giovanni
Freancesco Fiani from 1758 to 1760. Costanzi's picture, along with a copy
of Baglione's painting, is now in S. Maria degli Angeli, Rome.