The Wind Rose
that surrounds the obelisk in St Peter's Square is a diagram that
uses the compass points to show the different wind directions. Each
of these sixteen elliptical white marble markers is labeled with
the compass point and the name of the wind from that direction.
'wind rose' (Italian: rosa dei venti) has been around since ancient
times, but these markers were added to the Square around 1852 when
Pius IX added the four seven-branched candelabra with fountains,
and the traffic-free circle inside the 68 short granite posts.