FLOORPLAN    SQUARE    PRACTICAL INFO     LIBRARY    GROTTOES    NECROPOLIS    ALTARS    MONUMENTS     COLONNADE SAINTS   MASS
 


















The Altar of St Francis

St Francis Receiving the Stigmata
Mosaic (1795-1801)
From an original (1628-1630)
By Domenichino


    

The Altar of St Francis
On the right (east) side
of the Blessed Sacrament Chapel
Flanked by two of the ancient Solomonic
Columns from St Peter's Tomb



This mosaic copy of Domenichino's Ecstasy of St. Francis was originally placed, in April 1824, on the Crucifixion of St Peter Altar in the Left Transept.  In 1896, the Altarpiece of St Francis was moved to the Blessed Sacrament Chapel where it replaced an altarpiece of St Maurice.





















 

Contact: stpetersbasilica@gmail.com/font>

 

Copyright notice
The contents of this site are for personal-educational use only. Neither text nor images may be reproduced in any form without the permission of the respective copyright holders.

This independent website is not endorsed by or associated with the Vatican, the Fabbrica of St. Peter's, or any business organization