fresco of the Virgin with Child was placed above the sarcophagus
in 1982. The fresco, generally attributed to Pietro Vannucci called
il Perugine (1452-1523) or to his school, comes from the sacristy
of the old basilica.
ventilation, in the vault of the chapel is an oculus with with a
bronze grid dated 1958. The low travertine arches are decorated
with carvings while four niches are inserted in the pilasters below.
Each one is surmounted by the coat of arms of the pope. In the big
spaces in the walls, are two modern mosaics representing scenes
from the Apocalypse: to the left The Seven Candlesticks and to the
right The Dragon with Seven Heads symbolizing respectively Good
and Evil. They were made in 1971 by the Studio del Mosaico della
Fabbrica di San Pietro following the cartoons by Ferruccio Ferrazzi.
The were placed in the chapel in 1982.
In 2004 the
chapel with the tomb
of Pius XII was refurbished with funding by the Knights of Columbus